There’s so much to take into consideration if you want to make the most ethical choices on your weekly shopping run. Wouldn’t it be easier if you had a pocket guide to take with you to the supermarket?
While it’s mainly a reference for recognising animal derived ingredients in food, alcohol and other supermarket items, Veg*n Shopper: A Pocket Reference also includes lots of useful information including tips on:
- GE foods
- Fair trade
- Vegan alternatives
- Food additives
• Genetic Modification and Animal Cruelty
• Environmental, Social & Governance Record
The information and ratings are collated from over 30 sources including Greenpeace True Food Guide, Choose Cruelty Free, Corporate Monitor, Reputex and the National Packaging Covenant.
As a quick summary, The Ethical Consumer Group gives these tips:
- Soft drinks: Avoid phenylethane.
- Milk: Look for cardboard tetrapack.
- Biscuits: Avoid double packaging.
- Chips: Look for cardboard packaging.
- Chocolate: Look for organic, fairtrade.
- Dishwashing: Look for biodegradable.
- Laundry Detergent: Look for phospate and chlorine free. And look for low sodium.
And when in doubt, always look for Australian made, organic, fairtrade, cruelty free, and recyclable, recycled, or minimal packaging.