A few days ago I heard MP Andrew Leigh, author of a book called ‘Disconnected‘, talking on the radio about community engagement here declining. The discussion tweaked my interest.
Some Key Points
After crunching data from membership records and surveys, Andrew has found that:
- organisational membership is down
- we are less likely to attend church
- political parties and unions are struggling to keep their members
- sporting participation and cultural attendance is down
- we have fewer friends and are less connected with our neighbours
‘Disconnected’ discusses how we can take steps to rebuild social capital in our local neighbourhoods.